Sunday, April 01, 2007

Obligatory Conference Post

So, I took tons of notes for General Conference. This was the first time I didn't sleep through an entire session- I felt really good about that. I went to SLC for the Saturday afternoon session. I was in the Conference Center, and unfortunately we had no idea that it would be broadcast from the Tabernacle. Don't get me wrong, I loved every moment of the session- remembering is good to do, especially of such an historical building. Unfortunately we had balcony seats and watched it all on one of three giant screens (or one of five or six really small ones, if you squinted), and overall had a terrible time parking. Seriously- it took us an hour to park, for very many reasons.

So, my highlights from each session:
Saturday Morning

Richard G. Scott
- Answers will come a piece at a time so that as we grow we're able to understand more. I really liked this- it made a lot of sense to me, because I'm always growing, and I know that I'm not able to get the whole answer each time I ask.
-If you're prepared, living righteously and living in trust, don't worry about not getting an answer- it means the Lord trusts the decision you will make. Again, something I enjoyed hearing- I often don't get an answer to my prayers, but I don't get a stupor of thought. I had always wondered exactly what it meant, at least for me and this is the big answer for me.

Jeffrey R. Holland
-I really enjoyed this talk and it spoke deeply to me. I enjoyed it because I'm very interested in the words we use, and he had a great quote from the Apocrypha, "The strike of the whip maketh marks in the flesh, but the stroke of the tongue breaketh bone." I've always been a little bit (a lot) critical of people, and I often don't think about what I say. Also, his advice to not whine was very appropriate for the afternoon session switcheroo.

Saturday Afternoon

-I didn't actually take notes. I wasn't very comfortable. But I'll re-read when the Ensig comes out. Lots of stuff about music and remembering though, as I recall.

Priesthood Session

I'll write on this later.

Sunday Morning

-Okay, I'm not gonna lie. I took sparse notes and napped several times during this. I'm sorry, but I did like Neil L. Andersen's "It's true, isn't it" talk, and Gordon B. Hinckley's sobering words.

Sunday Afternoon

Henry B. Eyring
- 'Someday' can be dangerous.
- Prove yourself to the Lord.
- Complacency is not good. Great story about the older GA who wanted to go with him on his trip.
- Your circumstances may not change, but the Lord can improve you in your circumstances.

Dieter F. Ucthdorf
- There is not a point of no return, though that is what Satan would have us believe.
- Wow, I have a lot more notes on his talk. But really that's all that I'm gonna share.




Overall, this was a great conference- the big 177. Six months ago, I was hmmm.. I don't remember. But that weekend I went and ate at a Greek fast food restauraunt with Emily. It was good stuff. Hope everyone else enjoyed their conference weekend. Off to bed!

No comments: